Monday, March 28, 2011

Superman Fan Podcast Episode #171: MegaCon 2011 Preview!



At the time this episode was recorded, MegaCon 2011 would occur Friday, March 25, - Sunday, March 27, 2011, at Hall D at the Orange County Convention Center, located at 9800 International Drive, Orlando, Florida. Stan Lee and William Shatner are the special guests.

Other media guest that catch my interest are Star Trek actors Robin Curtis, Michael Dorn, Jonathan Frakes and Marina Sirtis, Babylon 5 and Lost actress Danielle Rousseau and TV actors John Schneider and Lou Ferrigno.

Comic book guests that interest me include Allan Bellman, golden age artist on such Marvel/Timely tiles as Captain America and All Winners, Sergio Cariello, artist on the Long Ranger title as well as the Picture Bible and Son Of Samson, Frank Cho, creator of Liberty Meadows, Jimmy Palmiotti, Amanda Conner, Darwyn Cooke, Geoff Johns, Terry Moore, Denny O'Neil, George Perez, Phil Noto of Orlando,Tim Sale, Mark Waid, Roy Thoimas, Billy Tucci and Renee Witterstaetter. I also look forward to buying the next copies of The Wellkeeper by Derrick Fish. Copies are also available at http://www.indyplanet.com/store/.

I ope to also meet podcaster and now central Florida resident Scott Gardner, co-host of the Two Two Freaks podcast.

All I could find about the beginnings of MegaCon was on wikipedia. The convention began in 1993, and is run by Elizabeth Widera and Christine Alger. This will be the fourth year I will attend MegaCon. I first attended this Con in 2005 with my son, as part of his 15th birthday. The previous year I took him to an Orlando Predators Arena Football game at the old Orlando Arena. After the game he told me that it was the best birthday present ever. After MegaCon he told me it was even better. That year I really didn't know what I was doing or how to really enjoy it in the most organized way. We did catch most of the Joe Quesada panel. He happened to be the guest of honor that year.

We went back in 2006, and this time I knew more about what I was doing. I got the program as I went into the convention hall, which had a list of panels. My son and I picked a few panels to go to, some we attended together, and others separately.

I didn't go the next three years, and wasn't planning to attend last year, until Jeffrey Taylor, co-host of the From Crisis To Crisis podcast, posted on facebook that he was looking for someone to room with who was going to MegaCon. He stayed with us that weekend, and we got to sample his excellent cooking. He came to MegaCon to accept an award from the Project Fanboy, for favorite fan comic book website. Last year was the first time I attended all three days of the con, and was also the first time I learned that I could attend it for free with a media pass, since I produce a weekly podcast. However I found out too late for last year's convention, but made plans to apply in time this year, which I did. This will be the first year I'll attend with a media pass.

While there are a lot of listeners who have a lot of experience attending Cons, I want to share a few tips I've learned in the few years I've attended MegaCon. The first tip should go without saying, but there's always one person in a crowd who misses it: take a shower first. With the crowd of people who will be there, clean bodies will be much appreciated, especially on Saturday when it will be the most crowded. I've been in my local comic shop when another customer has walked by, carrying a strong whiff of body odor behind him. Let's try not to live down to the cliched comic book fanboy stereotype.

Something else I do when I know I'm going to spend the entire day on my feet, I poweder both my feet and shoes to help keep them as dry as possible. I also wear two pairs of ankle socks to cushion my feet. Heel and arch supports in my shoes help as well.

About two weeks before the convention opens, MegaCon's website will post the complete list of their panel schedule for the weekend. I print it out and decide ahead of time which panels I want to attend. There will be some that overlap, and I have to pick between them.At the convention center, before I go into the exhibit hall, I pick up the brochure which also has the complete panel schedule, just to check and see if any panels change. It will also have a map which indicates where all of the exhibitors will be located.

The panels I plan on attending this year are:

Friday, March 25, 2011:


Crime Noir Panel: Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Darwyn Cooke and Dave Johnson, hosted by The Rat Pack Comics Podcast.

Spotlight On George Perez: A Q & A with the legendary comic book artist.

Comic Writers On The Art Of Writing For Comics: Dennis O'Neil, Roy Thomas, Jim Valentino, Mark Waid and Darwyn Cooke.

The New York Connection: A small group of friends in the comic book industry from the New York City area: Amanda Conner, Jimmy Palmiotti, Frank Tieri, Nelson DeCastro and Joe Jusko.

Saturday, March 26, 2011:


Words And Pictures, The Art Of Stroytelling In Comics: Layout and timing in comics with Darwyn Cooke, Amanda Conner, Terry Moore, Billy Tucci, Dan Panosian and Mike Perkins

A Spotlight On DC Comics: Geoff Johns, Dan Didio, Steve Scott, Rob Hunter and Ethan Van Sciver.

The Many Faces Of Mark Waid: A Q & A with the legendary comic book writer and editor.

The Art Of The Cover: A behind the scenes look into what goes into making the perfect cover with J. Scott Campbell, Amanda Conner, Joe Jusko, Frank Cho, Michael Golden,Dave Johnson and Tim Sale.

Sunday, March 27, 2011:


The Future Of Comics And New Media: Where are we headed with digital comics, shrinking numbers of book stores and how the internet and fans can shape the failure and success of a book, with Terry Moore, Jim Valentino and Darwyn Cooke.

Superman's Father: A Q & A with actor John Schneider.

Spotlight On Amanda Conner: A Q & A about her artistic style and amazing career.

The Do's And Don'ts Of Comics: Blake Nelson, Nelson DeCastro, Paolo Rivera, Steve Scott, Allen Bellman, Howard Chaykin and Frank Tieri discuss how to present yourself, be the perfect hire and balance a schedule.

Creator Owned Comics: The future of comics and a behind the scenes look at creating your own book with Terry Moore, Billy Tucci, Jim Valentino, Ron Marz, Brian Pulido and Jimmy Palmiotti.

I also hope to buy a new Supemran t-shirt to replace my old ratty one.

MegaCon 2012 is scheduled for the weekend of February 17 - 19. The dates flip from year to year between late February to March, depending on open dates at the convention center. I also hope that Jeffrey can return to MegaCon, and his co-host Michael Bailey can attend for the first time, and I can finally meet him.

Next Episode: MegaCon 2011 Interviews!


Join the Superman Fan Podcast and My Pull List groups or pages on facebook, and follow the podcast and blogs on twitter @supermanpodcast.

Superman Fan Podcast is a proud member of the League Of Comic Book Podcasters at http://www.comicbooknoise.com/league and the Comics Podcast Network! http://www.comicspodcasts.com/, and is now a proud member of the Superman WebRing of websites, and the Superman Podcast Network at http://www.fortressofbaileytude.com/supermanpodcastnetwork. Check it out to discover other fine Superman podcasts.

Superman Fan Podcast is at http://supermanfanpodcast.mypodcast.com/ . Send e-mail about this podcast to supermanfanpodcast@gmail.com.

The theme of this podcast is Plans In Motion, composed by Kevin MacLeod, and part of the royalty free music library at http://incompetech.com.

My Pull List is my spoiler free comic book review blog of the titles I read every week. It can be found at http://mypulllist.blogspot.com/. Send e-mail about this blog to mypulllist@gmail.com.

Superman and all related characters are trademark and copyright DC Comics. Any cover art displayed with the show notes is done for entertainment and educational purposes only. I post these episodes to share my enjoyment of Superman comics and do not earn any money from this podcast.

Thanks for listening to the Superman Fan Podcast and, as always, thanks to Jerry Siegel and Joe Shuster.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Superman WebRing

Superman WebRing The Superman WebRing
This site is a member of the best
Superman websites on the Internet!
Previous SiteList SitesRandom SiteJoin RingNext Site
SiteRing by Bravenet.com

Twitter

Facebook

Total Pageviews